Monday, March 3, 2014

Death Penalty and Visual Rhetoric

It was very interesting learning that victims get to choose their last meal before receiving the death penalty. I think both sets of photography did a good job using visual rhetoric to their advantage, but I definitely liked a different aspects about both. I feel like when looking at "The Last Meal Project," it is easier to see right off the bat what the photographer is trying to portray because of his short statement at the beginning. He did a good job at establishing his position and intention of the project. I did not like the layout of the pictures themselves though. I think the photos of the criminals do not do as good of a job showing that these were just normal people. I think the picture used should have been a normal "everyday" picture to better show his point. The pictures make the criminals really seem like criminals and even though they did eat a normal meal before they died, it doesn't matter because they are still criminals. Those are just my thoughts on "The Last Meal Project."
For "No seconds," I feel like the biggest downfall was the introductory statement at the beginning. It was not nearly as descriptive and helpful as the other one, and did not give me a clear idea of what the point of the project was. I did, on the other hand, enjoy the layout of the pictures more. All of the food looked genuine and pleasing, and helped the reader understand the connection we all have to these criminals.

No comments:

Post a Comment